Early Childhood Scholarship and Education Grant Policy
1 The Policy
There are approx. 5600 early childhood practitioners in 3000 basic schools and 404 registered Day Care Centres. Of this number only approximately 900 are college-trained.
The specific objective is to provide scholarships for candidates to pursue early childhood professional training leading to an Undergraduate or Associate Degree in Early Childhood; a Post Graduate Degree as well or specialised short courses.
1.2 Annual Allocation/Distribution of Scholarships
The CHASE Scholarship is awarded each year to applicants who have enrolled in full-time or part-time study at an accredited institution.
The allocation is capped at 20% of the sector’s annual receipts. The scholarships are awarded for the duration of the programme of study to a maximum of four years.
Students can apply for either one of the following categories:
- Associate’s Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Post Graduate Degree
- Specialized Short Courses or to attend conferences locally and abroad
1.4 When and How to Apply
Scholarships are advertised in April/May each year. Application forms are available at the Office of the Early Childhood Commission located at 8-10 Ocean Boulevard, Kingston and on the CHASE Fund’s website at www.chase.org.jm.
1.5 Application Requirements
- Be a Jamaican Citizen
- Applicants must demonstrate exceptional performance in key areas of academic achievement, contribution to community, school and workplace.
- Complete an application form
- Provide an official transcript
- Must have achieved at least a B average (GPA of 3.0) in the previous academic year
- Preference will be given to applicants who are employed to an Early Childhood Institution
- Provide an acceptance letter from the Institution/College.
- Provide a recommendation from the Education Officer/Development Officer and Parish School Board
1.6 Value of Scholarships
Scholarships will provide support for tuition only. A maximum of 80% of tuition per annum will be covered.
Recipients receiving scholarship awards in excess of $300,000 will be bonded according to the Ministry of Finance (MOF) policy.
1.8 Maintenance of Scholarship
Applicants are required to maintain a “B” average during the full term of the programme.
1.9 Scholarship Selection Committee:
The Scholarship Committee comprises of a representative from the CHASE Fund; the Early Childhood Commission (ECC); the Tertiary Unit (Ministry of Education) and the Teachers’ Colleges.