In May 2003, the then Prime Minister, the Most Honourable P. J. Patterson, at a function held in Ambassador Courtney Walsh’s honour, made the announcement of an annual cash award of Five Hundred Thousand Dollars (J$500,000) to a person who has represented Jamaica in the field of sport and who has, among other attributes, some of the exemplary qualities of Courtney Walsh both on and off the field.
In fine tuning the Award, consultations were made with a number of sources to ensure its integrity. KPMG Peat Marwick and Partners was subsequently contracted to establish the selection criteria (copy attached).
The objectives of the Courtney Walsh Award for Excellence are to:
- Formally recognise the achievements of a sports person who displays a high level of humility, integrity, discipline and other exemplary qualities, while excelling in the field of sports.
- Encourage athletes to maintain a high level of discipline and integrity, both on and off the field of sports.
- Encourage athletes to strive for excellence.
- Encourage athletes to remain humble, even when they are Excelling.
- Formally recognise the achievements of Courtney Walsh
- $ 500,000 Cash and the Courtney Walsh Award for Excellence Trophy
|2012||Veronica Campbell Brown|
|2011||Dr. Neil Gardner|
|2006||Deon Hemmings – McCatty|
MEMBERS OF THE 2013 SELECTION COMMITTEE
|Mr. Brian George||Chairman & CEO, SVL|
|Dr. Winston Dawes||CHASE Director|
|Ms. Fae Ellington||CHASE Director|
|Mr. Saleem Lazarus||CHASE Director|
|Dr. Donovan Bennett||Jamaica Cricket Association|
|Hon. Mike Fennell||Jamaica Olympic Association|
|Mr. H.G. Helps||Sports Media|
|Dr. Walton Small||Inter Secondary Schools Sports Association|
|Mr. Don Anderson||Institute of Sports|
|Mr. Compton Rodney||Jamaica Olympic Association|
|Lt. Colonel Jaime Ogilvie||Institute of Sports|
THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF AMBASSADOR COURTNEY WALSH, O.J.
- World record number of test wickets (519) and the first bowler in the history of the game to take 500 wickets
- Most balls bowled by any test player – 30,019
- Most tests played by any West Indian cricketer
- A commitment to excellence
- Indefatigable energy